Mom's Daily Tests & Meds: 2004 - 2006

Daily postings of Mom's in-home tests, administered medications, food eaten and the relationship among the three and her life.

Friday, September 03, 2004

Today's Stats:

Breakfast
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  0803
    Reading:  112
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  0904
    BP:  118/67
    Pulse:  72

Breakfast:  0920  & Meds
What she ate:  1 hard over egg, heavily peppered
1 4 oz slice honey cured ham steak
1 slice toasted oat bran bread with 1 tbl Fleischmann's margarine
1/4 tsp cinnamon on bread
6 oz orange juice diluted w/8 oz water
Med/Dose Administration Explanation
Niferex-150 [150 mg elemental iron] 1 hour before breakfast to pull her out of what I hope is her temporarily severely anemic state
vitamin C/500 mg 1/2 1000 mg tab with Niferex-150 helps the body metabolize iron
100% Aloe Vera gel/1 oz just before meal helps increase the cells' sensitivity to insulin
Protonix/40 mg 1 pill at least 1/2 hour pre-meal standard pre-breakfast med
glipizide ER/10 mg 1 pill with meal standard breakfast and dinner med to increase cells' sensitivity to insulin
aspirin/81 mg 1 tab with breakfast standard breakfast med - given for anti-coagulant properties
Daily Senior Multivitamin with breakfast standard breakfast supplement
folic acid/400 mcg with breakfast standard breakfast supplement
garlic/1250 mg with meal standard breakfast supplement; a natural antibiotic and anti-coagulant
vitamin E/400 IU with meal given for anti-coagulant properties; among other reasons; appears to be of benefit to type 2 diabetics, as well, in its role as a smooth muscled organ protectant, particularly the pancreas, which produces insulin
1/4 cup pure cranberry juice w/12 oz water after breakfast standard after breakfast supplement

    This was our Traveling to Mesa day. Nothing out of the ordinary about breakfast or her stats. Good traveling stats, especially since I was sure we were going to be eating at least one meal out and was sure Mom would order something that would cause me not to want to take her stats later in the day.

The Only Other Stats I Took Today
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1658
    Reading:  208
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1726
    BP:  124/60
    Pulse:  68

    We arrived in Mesa about 1230, ate at Chili's about 1330. I didn't take any stats before we left, didn't give her any pills, either. She ordered, let's see if I remember the name correctly, the Bacon Ranch Burger, which comes with loads of fries. Ate everything on her plate.
    I knew better, about three hours after she'd eaten, out of morbid curiosity, I decided to check her blood glucose. As you can see, I should have left well enough alone. I don't need to know the path her blood glucose takes to get to the readings she finally arrives at before a meal. About a half hour later, just for the hell of it, since I was curious how being in the Valley would affect her blood pressure, I took that. She was doing fine.
    We were both incredibly full (I ordered a lunch salad with a substitution of grilled tuna instead of the regular fried chicken strips...one of my favorite meals at Chili's and they always allow the substitution for me without upping the price) from lunch. Mom didn't take a nap, but, instead, supervised the packing I did, then the fertilizing of the trees I did. About 1830, 45 minutes before we left the Valley, Mom decided she wanted "a little something to eat". I had brought both popcorn and V-8 juice just for this contingency. At this point I did give her her iron and Vitamin C pills, her second glipizide ER, 1 oz of aloe vera gel and a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon in her V-8 juice. She polished off the entire bag of popcorn well before we left.
    When we arrived home, neither of us was hungry, although we stayed up until around 0100 drinking coffee (Mom, her decaf) and hot chocolate (me, without coffee, which I often add) and talking about the trip. I administered no more medication that day and took no more stats. I figured it would all work itself out by the time we awoke in the sunshine part of the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home