Mom's Daily Tests & Meds: 2004 - 2006

Daily postings of Mom's in-home tests, administered medications, food eaten and the relationship among the three and her life.

Saturday, August 28, 2004

Today's Stats:

Breakfast
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1015
    Reading:  132
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1108
    BP:  120/60
    Pulse:  79

Breakfast:  1120  & Meds
What she ate:  1 hard over egg, heavily peppered
2 slices thick cut sugar cured lean bacon
1 slice toasted oat bran bread with 1 tbl Fleischmann's margarine
1/4 tsp cinnamon on bread
6 oz orange juice diluted w/8 oz water
Med/Dose Administration Explanation
Niferex-150 [150 mg elemental iron] 1 hour before breakfast to pull her out of what I hope is her temporarily severely anemic state
vitamin C/500 mg 1/2 1000 mg tab with Niferex-150 helps the body metabolize iron
glipizide ER/10 mg 1 pill with meal standard breakfast and dinner med to increase cells' sensitivity to insulin
Protonix/40 mg 1 pill at least 1/2 hour pre-meal standard pre-breakfast med
aspirin/81 mg 1 tab with breakfast standard breakfast med - given for anti-coagulant properties
Daily Senior Multivitamin with breakfast standard breakfast supplement
folic acid/400 mcg with breakfast standard breakfast supplement
garlic/1250 mg with meal standard breakfast supplement

    It's easy to tell, from her blood glucose, that she had the tomato pie last night. But, her blood glucose is well within range, nicely below the range at which the neurologist suggested I "worry", as well as being well within the range the SNF would like me to begin to administer insulin. Nothing unusual or noteworthy about breakfast this morning, except it came a little later than we've been establishing, lately.

Lunch
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1546
    Reading:  98
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1603
    BP:  113/57
    Pulse:  68

Lunch:  1615  & Meds
What she ate:  sandwich w/4 oz extraordinary, homemade tuna salad (the recipe for which I made up and intend to publish, very soon, when I launch the companion food journal to this web collection,), 2 slices potato bread
Approx .5 oz Doritos Nachos chips
11.5 oz V-8 juice with 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
Med/Dose Administration Explanation
100% Aloe Vera gel/2 oz just before meal helps increase the cells' sensitivity to insulin
18 mg Iron Protein Succinylate 1 18 mg tabs with meal to pull her out of what I hope is her temporarily severely anemic state
vitamin C/500 mg 1/2 1000 mg tab with iron supplement helps the body metabolize iron

    Nothing extraordinary about lunch, either, except that, after spending most of the "morning" (from about 1230 on) at Ben Franklin Crafts and Walmart, and having her argue with me about drinking water, I had to hydrate her for about 15 minutes previous to lunch. She loved the tuna salad, which is good. We can stop buying the tuna salad sold at our local grocery which, while it doesn't taste bad even to me, has more mayonnaise in it than tuna, not an awful lot of flavor and very little onion and celery, so that I always have to add both before she'll eat it.

Dinner
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  2039
    Reading:  197
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  2046
    BP:  126/60
    Pulse:  60

Dinner:  2050  & Meds
What she ate:  Taco Bell food: 1 Burrito Supreme, 1 Taco Supreme
Med/Dose Administration Explanation
36 mg Iron Protein Succinylate 2 18 mg tabs with meal to pull her out of what I hope is her temporarily severely anemic state
vitamin C/500 mg 1/2 1000 mg tab with iron supplement helps the body metabolize iron
glipizide ER/10 mg 1 pill with meal standard breakfast and dinner med to increase cells' sensitivity to insulin
vitamin E/400 IU with meal given for anti-coagulant properties
garlic/1250 mg with meal given for anti-coagulant properties
calcium-vitamin D/500-200 mg with meal believed to be an osteoporosis preventative

ABSENT MEDS:
Conspicuously Absent Meds & Supplements
Med/Dose Administration Explanation
1/4 cup pure cranberry juice w/12 oz water after breakfast I forgot it

    I suppose I could have administered her lisinopril, a quarter tab which figures to 1.25 mg, but her BP was so perfect I decided not to, since her BP often goes down at night, on its own, anyway, when she's doing well. So, today, no kidney protection, not even the cranberry juice.
    Her BG freaked me out. I figure it must have been from the potato bread and the Nachos, so, little by little, I'm learning what I can and can't feed her now that she's not taking metformin. God, "it feels like the very first time." And, that doesn't feel good. I guess I'll see what the glipizide ER does. Unfortunately, Taco Bell isn't the best of meals with which to control blood glucose, but, that's what she wanted, and she wanted it bad, so, I decided, ahhh, what the hell. Why not?

Miscellaneous Stat: Why not, indeed?!?
I know better than to do this, but my curiosity got the better of me. I decided, a couple hours after dinner, to take the following reading:
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  2319
    Reading:  206
Blood Pressure:
    Not taken

    I kind of figured the Taco Bell food would have a bombastic effect, and it did, sure enough. And it scares the shit out of me. So, shortly, I'm going to start searching the web for supplements I can safely add to her diet that will keep me from using insulin. No, I did not administer insulin, tonight. I decided to let it go and see what happens in the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home