Mom's Daily Tests & Meds: 2004 - 2006

Daily postings of Mom's in-home tests, administered medications, food eaten and the relationship among the three and her life.

Saturday, July 30, 2005

Today's Stats:

No time for stats this morning...
...it was a crazy morning and I forgot. I was running like crazy from the time I awoke in order to take advantage of Costco's early opening time on Saturday, get in and out before Mom awoke, I also needed to ask a favor of one of my sisters and enjoyed our conversation much too much and much too long. Then, when I arrived home at 11:00 on the dot, Mom was up, sitting on the edge of her bed, wiping sleep out of her eyes. It was pouring rain, I hadn't unloaded the truck, the cargo of which included some of the heavier, waterproof items in the truck bed, protected but soaked, and a bunch of freezer stuff that couldn't wait for long to be transferred. I did it all, including bathing and entertaining the Mom and mollifying the Little Girl (she's scared of rain) and got Mom's breakfast on the table; all except taking stats.     I did want to mention, though, that I noticed Mom's feet were a little swollen, so was her belly, so I gave her 20 mg furosemide this morning. I'll probably check her blood pressure and blood glucose at "lunch".

Lunch
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  Not taken
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1718
    BP:  153/73
    Pulse:  51

    My only concern was her blood pressure, because of the slight edema, which is receding gently, so that was the only stat I took. I decided to give her another 2.5 mg lisinopril at lunch instead of waiting until dinner. Since I had already announced that I was going to make Blueberry Cobbler this evening, she and I decided her lunch should be fairly hefty and definitely nutritious. She had 8 oz of non-fat, artificially sweetened lemon yoghurt, 11.6 oz. V-8 juice and 6 oz each of two Mediterranean salads, one a lentil/carrot/rice salad, the other a black bean/corn/green pepper/onion salad. She ate it all, with gusto. Lots of potassium and sodium, to make up for the water loss.

Dinner
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1950
    Reading:  153
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1948
    BP:  147/59
    Pulse:  56

    Yep, it was a Just Desserts supper, Blueberry Cobbler. Delicious. Lots of antioxidants. Lots of fructose, too; not that much sugar, although this batch of blueberries tasted as though they'd been picked green (that's probably why they were so cheap) and was low on pectin. The cobbler could have used a bit more sugar and cornstarch. Unfortunately, I didn't taste the blueberries before I put them in the cobbler, so I didn't catch this. But, it was delicious anyway, and as the rest sits in the freezer, it'll age into a higher level of sweetness and thickness.
    Considering the short break between lunch and dinner, her blood sugar looks good. I'm surprised at her blood pressure. I thought the lisinopril at lunch would take it a little lower. But, she's still expelling fluid. I gave her the full compliment of pills, so she received three lisinopril today.

Bedtime
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  Not taken
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  2133
    BP:  149/71
    Pulse:  65

    This was actually taken about 45 minutes before she retired. I wanted to see if she was going to need a fourth lisinopril. She probably could have used it, but I thought about it, inspected her feet and her belly, and decided to wait until morning to see if she dropped the rest of the fluid. As well, her knee and back have been "giving her fits" today. Although that's her phrase, she actually hasn't been complaining about them. I was aware of the problem, though, because of the way she was moving. I decided to give her two extra strength acetaminophen, because it looks like we're going to be in for bumpy air pressure again tomorrow and I think the acetaminophen will nip some of her joint pain in the bud overnight. I hope so. She fought me on it, she hates to take pain medication of any kind, but I insisted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home