Mom's Daily Tests & Meds: 2004 - 2006

Daily postings of Mom's in-home tests, administered medications, food eaten and the relationship among the three and her life.

Sunday, June 27, 2004

Today's Stats:

Breakfast
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1021
    Reading:  95
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1109
    BP:  126/52
    Pulse:  65

Breakfast:  1120  & Meds
What she ate:  1 hard over egg, heavily peppered
2 slices thick cut sugar cured lean bacon
1 Costco croissant with 1/4 tsp cinnamon sprinkled inside
8 oz orange juice diluted w/8 oz water
Med/Dose Administration Explanation
glipizide/10 mg 1 pill at least 1/2 hour pre-meal standard breakfast and dinner med
Albuterol/2.0+IPRAO/.5 nebulized during meal preparation standard breakfast, sometimes dinner med
Protonix/40 mg 1 pill at least 1/2 hour pre-meal standard breakfast med
Detrol/2 mg 1 tab with meal standard breakfast and dinner med
metformin/500 mg 1/2 of 100 mg tab with meal standard dose, because of orange juice, when her BG is in the 90's; and, frankly, didn't think to drop it to 425 mg, which I could easily have done, I think. I was just moving too fast, this morning, to think of it
Iron Protein Succinylate/18 mg from 360 mg Iron Protein Succinylate with meal standard breakfast, lunch and dinner med while she's anemic
acetaminophen/500 mg 1 pill with food administered today specifically to counteract possible stiffness in the backs of Mom's legs from her recent walkering
Daily Senior Multivitamin with breakfast standard breakfast supplement
vitamin C/1000 mg with breakfast standard breakfast supplement
folic acid/400 mcg with breakfast standard breakfast supplement
garlic/1250 mg with meal standard breakfast supplement
1/4 cup pure cranberry juice w/12 oz water after breakfast standard after breakfast supplement

Conspicuously Absent Meds & Supplements  
Med/Dose Administration Explanation
aspirin/81 mg 1 tab with breakfast Has not been receiving this, per doctor's orders, since 6/18/04; he feels that, if she is bleeding internally intermittently, the aspirin, being a blood thinner, will increase the blood flow, and this is a higher risk to take, right now, than protecting her against strokes, including mini-strokes
lisinopril/2.5 mg 1/2 tab with meal decide to wait until later in the day, just to see how well her blood pressure holds its own on what I hope will be a fairly active, alert day
vitamin E/400 IU with meal standard breakfast supplement; temporarily deleted to due physician request regarding concern about it interacting with the iron and some of her other meds; vitamin E, by the way, has a thinning effect on the blood and enhances the use of blood thinners; this is why it's off the list, temporarily, I assume

    As I aroused Mom, I predicted internally that we wouldn't be done with breakfast until 1230 or so. As it turns out, at 1154 I was firing up my computer to input breakfast stats while Mom is savoring her cranberry juice and a few cigarettes before I put her back on oxygen for awhile. I'm not sure why the morning went so fast, but I'm pleased. I have yet to style Mom's hair, which takes about a quarter hour, and I think we should play a game of Sorry, just to give her body some time to think about having a bowel movement, then, we'll head for the grocery. Mom and I talked about Chicken Fricassee, last night, something neither of us has had; we actually didn't know the description. So, I looked it up and, lo and behold, we have everything we need for it except heavy cream. We could also use a few more pieces of chicken, since I've got enough stock for a full recipe. So, that's what we're going to have, tonight. In the process of making up the almost non-existent shopping list for this cooking venture, both Mom and I added a few other things we need besides the sugar that prompted the trip. I mock warned her that as she suggested items she was lengthening her walker time and distance in the store. This didn't seem to bother her. Just in case, you'll notice, I added a 500 mg acetaminophen to her morning med regimen. I'm really looking forward to an active day for her.

Surprising Lunch
    The first surprise was that, after we arrived home from a rousing walkering of the grocery store, Mom's was "ravenous", just 3 hours after she'd sat down to breakfast. Good sign, I figured, and set about getting her lunch and taking her stats, below:
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1508
    Reading:  189 - 2nd surprise
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1506
    BP:  101/52 - 3rd surprise
    Pulse:  74

Lunch:  1520  & Meds
What she ate:  sandwich w/ 4 oz tuna salad, 2 slices potato bread
approx. 2 oz MCS's bread and butter pickles
12 oz V-8 juice with 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
3 sugar free, diabetic candies
Med/Dose Administration Explanation
metformin/750 mg 3/4 a 1000 mg tab with meal as an attack on her surprisingly high blood sugar reading
Iron Protein Succinylate/18 mg from 360 mg Iron Protein Succinylate with meal standard breakfast, lunch and dinner med when she's anemic
acetaminophen/7400 mg 1 pill with meal an attack on her surprisingly high blood sugar reading

    I can't say why her blood glucose was so high. It might have been the croissant, but I doubt it. It might be that, over the last few days, I've been lowering her level of metformin retained in her body to the place where it's a bit too low to take care of normal meals, so, I might have to up her metformin a bit, for awhile. I would be happy, with her much improved diet, more exercise, more awake time and improved alertness, if I could lower her metformin dosage judiciously and then, every so often, find that I have to mega-dose her for a day or two. I don't consider this a problem.
    Surprise number 3, her blood pressure, how low it was immediately after her jaunt around the grocery and, I might add, right after a cigarette, is a bit of a concern. But, typically, the more active people are, the lower becomes their blood pressure, so maybe I'm about to find out what my mother's true blood pressure is. In any case, I did not administer lisinopril and decided that I'll not post my decision to not administering it at lunch; only at breakfast and/or dinner.

Dinner
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1957
    Reading:  80
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  2040
    BP:  137/61
    Pulse:  61

Dinner:  2045  & Meds
What she ate:  6 oz tuna mixture (celery, green onions, dill pickles, enough mayo to substitute for glue), 3 oz sharp yellow cheddar, one slice Bermuda onion, 1 oz dill pickle relish, grilled between 2 slices of toasted potato bread (a tuna melt)
1 slice lemon mousse cream cheese cake; 1" x 3" x 3".
Med/Dose Administration Explanation
glipizide/10 mg 1 pill at least 1/2 hour pre-meal standard breakfast and dinner med
metformin/750 mg 3/4 a 1000 mg tab with meal
Iron Protein Succinylate/18 mg from 360 mg Iron Protein Succinylate 1 tab with meal standard breakfast, lunch and dinner fare while she's anemic
Detrol/2 mg 1 tab with meal standard breakfast and dinner fare while we're trying, again, to see if this will work on her
lisinopril/2.5 mg 1/2 5 mg tab with meal seems that the lisinopril will now be most helpful being administered at dinner

    The dinner, even though it seems like somewhat of a repeat of lunch, was Mom's idea. She loves tuna. She remembered that she had it at lunch, today, and couldn't get it "off her taster". So, at her suggestion, we had tuna melts, tonight. The lemon mousse cake was something she eyed in the store that I allowed her to get. We'll be eating it mini-slice by mini-slice, chopped off the cake which will remain in the freezer over the next few weeks.
    I'm pleased with today. Although I was surprised at the high blood glucose, but it reminds me of her more active days, a few years ago, when her blood glucose at lunch was regularly high. So was her energy, her level of activity and her alertness. So, although I'll keep my eye on her sugar numbers, but I'll consider this, for the time being, lacking evidence for the opposite, optimistic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home