Mom's Daily Tests & Meds: 2004 - 2006

Daily postings of Mom's in-home tests, administered medications, food eaten and the relationship among the three and her life.

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Today's Stats:

Breakfast
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1138
    Reading:  129
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1156
    BP:  134/63
    Pulse:  57

    When I awoke Mom this morning, once again inching her rising moment a little earlier, she wasn't having any. I served anyway. She wasn't pleased. I think that's why her blood pressure was a touch high. Even though she enjoyed an abbreviated bath because, amazingly, she hadn't leaked last night after a good twelve hour sleep, thus it wasn't necessary to hose her completely down, and she had a hearty brakfast including 1.5 eggs with MPBIL's home made Southwestern Fire Seasoning and her requested two pieces of toast, she remained in a slight snit all "morning". She remained up, though, reading and doing crossword puzzles at the dinette table for some hours until her nap while I worked my way through boxes in the back bedroom and checked on her frequently. I think she laid down about 1500.

BM Lunch
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  Not taken
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1627
    BP:  128/61
    Pulse:  69

    Well, that's not too bad. I noticed that she tightened her arm, though, while I was taking her pressure. I tried not to bark at her but wasn't completely successful.
    Her Bowel Movement occurred at about 1610: Poor volume; excellent consistency; very easy elimination; very easy clean-up.
    Lunch was her usual yoghurt, MCS's Bread & Butter pickles (about 1/2 cup) and 5 green pimiento stuffed olives.
    Just want to mention, although her fluid intake hasn't been stellar, she doesn't appear to be either dehydrated nor unnaturally retaining fluids.

Dinner
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1911
    Reading:  131
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1905
    BP:  138/69
    Pulse:  71

    Dinner was a surprise to me. I expected that we probably wouldn't eat untiil somewhere between 2000 and 2030. At 1830 Mom told me she was "salivating" while watching a commercial on TV and asked me if dinner was ready. I reminded her that it hadn't been long since lunch but she persisted.
    It took me a half hour to finish the home made chicken noodle soup with vegetables and grilled garlic cheese wheat French bread I'd planned, but I hurried it to her table as fast as I could. Lo and behold, she only ate about a quarter of her soup, even though she raved over it. She just wasn't hungry.
    I decided I was going to lay down a couple of laws. First, I don't listen to her any more if she decides she wants dinner less than three hours after she's finished lunch. Second, I was upfront about my reinsitituted strategy of keeping her up more, in part to increase her appetite and make sure she is up enough to remain hydrated. Third, She isn't going to bed before 2200 tonight.
    I know. We've all heard it all before. Who knows how long I'll insist on my rules until I become irasible trying to change her behavior and give in. Anyone taking any bets?
    She hasn't looked either dehydrated or unnaturally retaining fluids today. When she's been up she's seemed pretty perky, although, as usual, not moving much. She's remained up and able to entertain herself more than usual today. Her mood has been very good.
    So, I'm not going to take her blood pressure tonight. I think she may just be reacting to me. And, for some reason, she's finding it harder than usual today to keep her arm completely relaxed when I take her blood pressure. She has a problem, anyway, with this and, unfortunately, the wrist monitor demands a completely relaxed arm.
    Well, it'll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. At this point she's still up and glued to her usual evening series of M*A*S*H episodes, drinking her decaf instant coffee without being hounded; she hasn't been exhibiting that dry hacking of CHF. In fact, for most of the day, again, she's gone without oxygen because she hasn't been mouth breathing or out of breath. I don't know, maybe we're in for another "up" period, for awhile. The only thing I don't love about these periods is that it's harder to get a clear fix on her blood pressure because her muscles are actually tensed for movement, the way younger people's usually are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home