Mom's Daily Tests & Meds: 2004 - 2006

Daily postings of Mom's in-home tests, administered medications, food eaten and the relationship among the three and her life.

Sunday, May 22, 2005

Just wanted to mention...

...for my own reference. I just gave my mother 20 mg furosemide. She's been retaining water, today, which is unusual for her. Peach Detox Tea (I gave her a cup this morning for breakfast, about 1130, and another for lunch at 1700), on which I can usually count (in fact, almost any tea will cause my mother to shed water, which is why I don't often serve her tea) doesn't seem to be taking it off and it's not only swelling her feet, it's beginning to settle around her middle, causing occasional breathlessness.
    I hate giving her furosemide. It's like creating an internal waterfall within her. I have to be careful that she doesn't lose too much water, sodium or potassium, since we've had emergencies involving all three. The last time I gave it to her was last fall, I believe. I remember giving her 10 mg then having to give her 20 mg the next day, so, today I decided to hit her with 20 out of the gate.
    I've approached her with the blood pressure wrist cuff a couple of times, today. I'm very curious to see what her blood pressure measures when she's retaining water like this. She's easily aggitated, though, and isn't interested. "I'm fine!" She is adamant, and irritated. I'm not surprised. Typically she's easygoing, but on the rare occasion when she's retaining water, although she thinks she's still easygoing, she's actually touchy.
    Yes, I'll be catching up on stats, maybe tonight. Maybe I'll be posting at the main journal, too, I'm not sure. I've been so calm and relaxed, lately, that I haven't wanted to approach the computer much, I've been doing other stuff that requires more movement and is less abstract. Yes, I still consider what I'm doing here important, to me and, eventually, to others, but, well, doing has been more interesting than thinking and writing, lately, for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home