Mom's Daily Tests & Meds: 2004 - 2006

Daily postings of Mom's in-home tests, administered medications, food eaten and the relationship among the three and her life.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

BM Intended Full Stat Day: Successful

A.M. Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1344
    Reading:  156
A.M. Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1343
    BP:  140/65
    Pulse:  56

    I was a little surprised at Mom's blood sugar, considering that she got exactly 12 hours of sleep, but I guess the ketchup took it's toll. When my mother has ketchup it can be said that, in the case, for instance, of last night's home made french fries, she had a little fries with her ketchup. She also used it on her steak to the point where, if I hadn't known she'd had steak under there I wouldn't have known what it was covering. Oh well. If my mother's HA1c isn't in the normal range by April 4th, it won't be our fault!
    I know I usually wait until evening (or a day or two later) to post these, but I wanted to note her Bowel Movement before I forget, and, today, I am apt to forget: It occurred at 1605: Fairly poor volume; consistency looked good but it turned out to be smeary, again (I'm not sure why this is happening); very easy elimination; fairly messy clean-up.
    I'll report later on her evening stats, which I intend to take.
P.M. Blood Glucose:
    Time:  2103
    Reading:  120
P.M. Blood Pressure:
    Time:  2159
    BP:  128/62
    Pulse:  64

    Full stat day successful. She ate a light lunch at 1800: about a cup of heavily peppered cottage cheese and 11.5 oz V-8 juice. It makes a difference in her blood glucose when she has a couple of hours to digest and incorporate her lunch before I take dinner stats, as you can see.
    I gave her a choice of flank steak rolled around Portobello mushrooms baked on top of a slice of onion or chili dogs (kosher beef polish sausage with home made chili on whole wheat bolillo rolls sprinkled with diced fresh onion and freshly grated sharp yellow Cheddar). She chose the chili dogs, so we'll have the flank steak, probably with corn on the cob, tomorrow night.
    I'm also experimenting with a strawberry shortcake recipe. Mom loves strawberry short cake. I don't think we've had it since I came to be with her in December of 1993; mainly because I don't like it and for several years I've done all the cooking. I like fresh strawberries, though, even when they are forced and taste a little like flavored cardboard. They had some of these at Costco today and they looked more promising than usual (even though I was aware that they are definitely forced, since they're out of season), so I bought a four pound container. We both had some fresh strawberries with breakfast. They were passable. Mom's first thought, upon seeing the berries glittering in their container, was, of course, strawberry short cake. So, I decided to try to make one I'd like. I'll be making the biscuit shortcake tomorrow but the strawberries are marinating in an interesting mixture of sugar and spice as I speak, making their own juice. I'm going to add toasted almonds, whole wheat flour and some almond flavoring to a basic biscuit short cake recipe. We always have heavy cream on hand, in case I decide to make cocoa for myself in the evening. So, we're set. We'll see how it turns out tomorrow.
    As a note to myself, although Mom's blood pressure is okay, she seemed to be retaining a bit more water than usual this evening when I rubbed down her legs, especially around her belly. If she still looks pudgy in the morning I'll probably give her a furosemide.
    She originally headed for bed at 2300, which surprised both of us. She was up again, though, at 2345. She read for awhile then joined me about a third of the way through a movie I'd begun watching just before she arose from her startlingly early retirement. The movie ended about 0130. She retired for the last time tonight at 0145. Her light went of just a few minutes ago, at 0155.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home