Mom's Daily Tests & Meds: 2004 - 2006

Daily postings of Mom's in-home tests, administered medications, food eaten and the relationship among the three and her life.

Sunday, May 22, 2005

BM - Almost Forgot - And, review, as far as I can remember

    She had a heft Bowel Movement today before breakfast, while we were bathing her. Easily eliminated, good consistency. She's been regular, as usual, since the last time I reported these; every day to every other day.
    We did, indeed, go for her blood draw on Friday. I expect to be able to pick up the results tomorrow, Monday, hopefully in the morning. Since she's having an episode (brief, I hope) of Congestive Heart Failure (signaled by the stubborn retention of fluid), I'm especially curious to see the results of her blood draw. I expect her urinalysis to be clear, though and normal, though.
    I discussed with her, tonight, the idea of trying, over the next few days, a substitution of the Peach Detox Tea in the morning and the Detox Tea in the evening, once the furosemide kicks in and she sheds all the excess fluid. She asked me if I'd be drinking the tea, too, and I made an on the spot decision to join her. It certainly won't hurt me. I'm hoping that, by having her ingest these teas regularly every day, we might be able to exercise some control over future episodes of CHF and the resulting high blood pressure. At least until she decides it's time for her to check out permanently. We talked, as well, about how I would prefer to handle her various health "issues" with as many natural products as possible. "There'll be plenty of time for the doctors to eagerly and thoughtlessly ply you with the stuff in their pill cabinets," I said.
    "Well," she said, with just a hint of slyness, "if it's all the same to you, I'd rather we stayed away from their pills as long as possible."
    "That's better than all the same to me," I agreed.
    You'll notice that I didn't take any stats today. I considered it but I'm sure her blood pressure was pushing itself up and knowing the numbers wouldn't have helped, nor would it have changed my strategy of giving her furosemide/20 mg. The furosemide didn't kick in quite as quickly as I would have liked, but I didn't want to give her a full 40 mg pill, since I already know that this takes the water off way too quickly and I didn't want to change a blood pressure crash in the middle of the night.
    About an hour after giving her the furosemide we had dinner. I made beef soup with lots of potatoes, teriyaki beef jerky, lots of onions and lots of liquid. She requested fresh raspberries (which we happen to have, right now) with cream. Lots of sodium, lots of potassium. The dinner should keep her electrolytes from taking a nose dive while her body sheds water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home