Mom's Daily Tests & Meds: 2004 - 2006

Daily postings of Mom's in-home tests, administered medications, food eaten and the relationship among the three and her life.

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Today's Stats:

Breakfast
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1214
    Reading:  66
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1226
    BP:  108/58
    Pulse:  68

    I started in on her at 1000, then 1030, then 1115 and 1130, then, finally, at 1200, she consented to awaken, mainly, because, I wouldn't stop waking her up. Good, I thought. I noticed, when I picked up the water jug kept by her bed to give her water after the two pills I give her immediately after she awakens that she had drained it last night. 32 oz of water. She never drinks her water at night, in fact she always tells me she can do without that glass. I'm glad, now, that I never take her seriously. I remember, too, that she awoke a couple of hours after retiring last night to pee. That's not unusual, but it doesn't happen that often. As well, this morning, she hadn't shed nearly as much water as she usually does. Her stats show that she's pretty well hydrated, now, I think, although I'm keeping after her.
    Again she had ham steak with her egg, 4 oz this time. Since she's been a dehydrated I didn't want to push the sodium and potassium too much. I did, though buy some sweet rolls and she chose a cherry Danish. I'm glad I did this. I'd promised her a sweet roll last night and it looks like her blood sugar can use the boosting. At the moment I've got her drinking caffeinated Chai tea and eating some mixed nuts and dry roasted peanuts. It seems that the vacation her diabetes is supposed to take may be on the horizon. This morning I wondered if perhaps I should consider dropping her glipizide, but, for the time being, I'll just keep on eye on her readings.
    I'm trying to keep her up all day today. It didn't seem to be working by being gentle so, as I "predicted", I harassed her, a little. When she wouldn't cooperate with an exercise session an hour after breakfast (dropping the weights, again, and slumping in her chair) didn't want to play Sorry, didn't even want me to style her hair (we washed and set it last night) and denied that sleeping all the time was doing her any harm, I cited several things: 1) If it isn't harming her, why did she have no energy? 2) If it isn't harming her, why was she having more and more difficulty moving around? 3) If it isn't hurting her, why are her heart and lungs laboring more than usual? 4) If it isn't hurting her, why are we having a problem with extreme states of hydration and dehydration almost from day to day? She listened to me with a sour, disgusted expression. I didn't expect any less, or more. I certainly didn't expect her to drop her pride and agree with me. She mentioned that she had to go to the bathroom and I said, "If sleeping all the time isn't doing you any harm, then rise from your chair as though your joints haven't frozen; walk into the bathroom as though you haven't been in bed for a week." That made her mad and she stood up like a trouper, walked like she hadn't been shuffling for weeks and harrumphed all the way.
    While she was on the toilet I told her I was sorry for being so rough but nothing else seemed to be keeping her out of bed (this is my usual apologia, which you know if you're a regular reader; I steam up then drop to my verbal knees in regret). I told her that I'd probably start, later, to feel really bad for roughing her up and if she made a move toward taking a nap I'd probably let her. "But, Mom, I'm sick of always having to make nasty choices when it comes to getting you moving and keeping you up. I know that I'll have to continue to make them, but I'm sick of it, and some of that frustration is bound to influence my behavior toward you. I'm not a Buddhist Monk and not interested in becoming one."     She nodded. "No," she agreed, "that you're not." We both chuckled and the tension dissipated.
    My upbraiding seems to be working for the duration. Already she's sitting forward in her chair, fidgeting, instead of relaxing into a sitting-nap position, which is a good sign, paying attention to a movie. Maybe later we'll do exercises. Maybe not. But, I told her, no naps today. She's already slept enough, in the last several days to count for several naps. This may mean that she'll go to bed a bit early, tonight, but maybe not. We'll see. I might even lose on the nap score, but, if I do, I'll severely restrict the time she's down.
    Oh, yeah, to try to head off the usual dehydration constipation I gave her a tablespoon of Benefiber® this morning, and may give her some at lunch, too. We'll see.

Lunch
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  Not taken
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1726
    BP:  107/53
    Pulse:  73

    Still noting her high pulse rate. Since I am pre-dating this from two days hence, I can't remember what she had for lunch. Oh, yeah, I remember. Marie Callendar's Pot Roast Soup with extra chopped green onions and carrots, extra peas, extra meat in the form of beef jerky and added sweet curry powder. Blood pressure looks good, though.

BM Dinner
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  2049
    Reading:  123
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  2047
    BP:  121/58
    Pulse:  71

    Still noting her high pulse rate, but her blood pressure's good enough so I don't feel the need to check it at bedtime.
    For dinner she had a 4 oz piece of ham steak+egg+1 oz slice of Vermont Extra Sharp White Cheddar sandwich on an onion bun and about a half cup of MCS's extraordinary Bread & Butter pickles. She ate like a dog and asked for more pickles, so I gave them to her.
    Her Bowel Movement occurred by surprise as we were getting her ready for bed at 2335: Fair volume, excellent consistency, very easy elimination, very easy clean-up. I predicted for her that she'd "have the rest" sometime tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home