Mom's Daily Tests & Meds: 2004 - 2006

Daily postings of Mom's in-home tests, administered medications, food eaten and the relationship among the three and her life.

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Full Stat Day:

A.M. Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1328
    Reading:  151
A.M. Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1401
    BP:  147/64
    Pulse:  53

P.M. Blood Glucose:
    Time:  2055
    Reading:  137
P.M. Blood Pressure:
    Time:  2055
    BP:  115/56
    Pulse:  65

    Surprise, surprise! I'm actually recording these on the day they were taken. Mom has just retired. It is her intention to read herself to sleep, tonight, but she hasn't yet settled into her reading position in bed. She's still sitting on the edge of her bed, looking for Mr. Man.
    Although I arrived home from my later-than-early errand at 1300 on the nose and Mom was up on her elbow in bed waiting for me, the new glucometer arrived and it took me half an hour to read the pertinent parts of the instruction booklet (yes, Virginia, I read instruction booklets before operating devices), test it's mechanism with the control solution, set the significators on the meter and take her blood glucose. I guess it was high because of dinner last night, although, you know, it occurred to me that Mom may have gotten up, eaten or drunk something while I was gone and, knowing I would be back no later than 1300, gone back to bed. I noticed that her oxygen was off when I came home, although there didn't seem to be any evidence in the kitchen that anything that would affect her reading had gone down her throat. I asked her and she said, "No," but she may not have remembered. At any rate, I'm not concerned because that should help boost her HA1c, hopefully into mid to high normal range.
    I forgot to wait to take her blood pressure at the breakfast table. It'll take me a couple of days to remember the routine change. Her breakfast was a bit richer than usual: An egg scrambled into crumbled, fried, defatted sausage and a delicious scone bought from a local bakery on the way home from my errand; I'd promised her last night that I'd pick up some sort of sweet roll for breakfast. I picked up two types and gave her a choice; the other was a cream cheese Danish. She'll probably have that for breakfast tomorrow.
    Otherwise, we had a good day. Very short nap. I doubt that she slept. She was down for maybe fifteen minutes sometime between 1800 and 1900. She said she didn't want any lunch, wanted to wait until dinner to eat, but when I offered her a 1 oz bag of peanuts her eyes lit up. That was at about 1930. A blood sugar reading of 137 an hour and half after a bag of peanuts, considering that she'd had a rich, sweet cranberry scone for breakfast, is an excellent reading.
    I also bought an airy, crunchy loaf of Vienna bread from the local bakery. It just looked good. I decided, this evening, to use it to make toasted yellow sharp Cheddar, defatted (in the microwave) pepperoni, slice olive toasted sandwiches, lightly sprinkling the cheese with an herb mixture; served with a side of pickled asparagus. I'm sorry to say that I noticed that Costco, once again, has discontinued the pickled asparagus. Fuck. I bought four jars when I saw them. We're on the last jar, now, and as of the last time I visited Costco, they no longer had them. I'm sorry I didn't prefigure that they'd only have them for a limited time and buy more jars. They are a great fill-in when we don't have MCS's bread and butter pickles. Although the ingredients of the pickled asparagus do not include sugar, some combination of spices and probably balsamic vinegar makes them taste rather like B&B pickles, so Mom liked them very well.
    It's 0002, 3/19/06. Mom's light is off. A few minutes ago it was still on. I'll start figuring 12 hours from midnight.
    No bowel movement today, so if she doesn't have one between breakfast and lunch, tomorrow, I'll probably give her a tablespoon of Phillip's. Her feet were a little swollen this evening and she didn't really drink a lot of liquids, so I know she's carrying around some baggage. I may give her some, anyway, at breakfast, just to help clean her out. I have a feeling she's getting a little backed up, her last few movements have been only fairly good to fairly poor. She could probably use a light cleansing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home