Mom's Daily Tests & Meds: 2004 - 2006

Daily postings of Mom's in-home tests, administered medications, food eaten and the relationship among the three and her life.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Today's Stats:

BM Breakfast
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1332
    Reading:  108
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1327
    BP:  132/69
    Pulse:  54
  Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1332
    BP:  139/62
    Pulse:  53
  Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1336
    BP:  129/70
    Pulse:  49
  Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1344
    BP:  141/66
    Pulse:  51

    Our regimen (such that it is) fell apart today as my mother recovered from yesterday's advanced movement. No, it wasn't that yesterday hurt her. She just hasn't moved that much with that much enthusiasm in a long time and her body spent most of today going, "Geez, what the hell happened yesterday?!?"
    Believe it. I took four blood pressures this morning. I wanted to make sure that her elevated systolic was just because she wasn't relaxing her arm. Although a touch of the elevation may have been her annoyance at having me take her blood pressure four times in a 17 minute period, it was legitimately high (for her). The last blood pressure was taken immediately after she had her Bowel Movement. It occurred to me that maybe the 'stress' of getting ready to move her bowels might have elevated her blood pressure but, no, that wasn't the case either.
    Her blood sugar, of course, looked good, as it almost always does. She was sitting on the edge of her bed at 1300 when I arrived home from the Costco trip upon which she was supposed to accompany me but didn't. I looked in on her this morning at 1030, when she'd asked me last night to awaken her this morning. She was sleeping the sleep of the dead, so I decided to give her an hour since that would bring her up to twelve hours of sleep and I knew her body was still tired from yesterday. At 1130 she was still pretty much on the shore of the River Styx. I roused her, as much as I was able, and she was clear that she didn't want to awaken yet. She told me to go to Costco without her. I mentioned I'd be back by 1300. Thus, that's when she awakened, on her own.
    She stayed up without a nap from then until 2345 but, as you'll notice, I took few stats and her meals were a free form jumble. She was clearly stiff. She didn't complain about it but acknowledged her stiffness when I asked her about it. She was also having trouble with her right knee and volunteered that her thighs were "a little sore". From the exercise yesterday, I'm sure.
    No, I don't feel bad about getting her moving again. We even talked about it and she volunteered that maybe she should move a little more. We'll see how far that goes, but I will continue to try to get her going a bit more than has been the case in the last several months, hopefully without crossing the boundaries of frustration mentioned by The Wondrous FNP back in January.
    She looked good all day, once she was up, and ate and drank well, particularly breakfast. She asked for two pieces of toast and was done with her breakfast within 15 minutes, unusual for her.
    Oh, yeah, details of her Bowel Movement: Fairly good volume; excellent consistency; very easy elimination; somewhat easy clean-up.

Lunch
Blood Glucose:
    Not taken
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1829
    BP:  153/68
    Pulse:  58
  Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1836
    BP:  129/63
    Pulse:  57

    The first blood pressure was clearly annoyance. However, considering that her systolic remained elevated above 120 the second time around and her diastolic gave me some leeway, I administered her "third" lisinopril at this time along with her lunch, which consisted of 8 oz non-fat, artificially sweetened yoghurt, 6 green pimiento stuffed olives and six mini-dills and 11.5 oz V-8 juice, chased with a large cup of decaf instant coffee.

Non-stat Dinner-of-sorts
    Since the day has been caddywampus, her dinner actually spread throughout the evening. Around 1930 she had a large oatmeal raisin cookie. From 2045 on she munched on popcorn with extra margarine drizzled over it. Lots. She loves popcorn and I figured it would be good for her tonight since it was obvious that she wasn't going to be interested in a regular evening meal. I administered her pills at this time and included one extra strength acetaminophen even though she said she didn't want it. I also gave her one while we prepared her for bed, around 2230.
    She drank plenty of fluids throughout the day even though she wasn't up much. She didn't appear to be experiencing abnormal fluid retention, so I don't think she's suffering from CHF. I'm not sure what's elevating her blood pressure, but, today, at least, it could have been a hold-over from yesterday and yesterday it could have been the mounting attitude stress prior to her trip to the grocery. So, I'm not worried, just vigilant and ready to pump her with 50% more lisinopril than she normally takes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home