Mom's Daily Tests & Meds: 2004 - 2006

Daily postings of Mom's in-home tests, administered medications, food eaten and the relationship among the three and her life.

Monday, September 12, 2005

Today's Stats:

Breakfast
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1041
    Reading:  123
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1038
    BP:  135/61
    Pulse:  51
  Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1040
    BP:  120/63
    Pulse:  57

    You'll find this funny. Notice the two BP readings, three minutes apart. The first was taken just after I was yapping at my mother about something, probably about getting her moving today, and she was probably resisting the idea. Knowing from her systolic that I had probably irritated her, I took another three minutes later after I had absented myself from the bathroom to spray her bed with the white vinegar/water solution and move the fan in her room to enchance drying. What a difference "a little tenderness" can make!
    Her BG is above normal but I expected this. Yesterday was the last of our sugary days for awhile. Besides the morning sweet roll, which you'll notice was doing a positive dervish when I took her dinner stats last night, about a half hour before she went to bed (I she retired close to midnight) she headed into the kitchen. I heard one of the refrigerator doors open. I followed her to investigate and she had her head stuck in the freezer. "I was just wondering if we had any of the toffee ice cream left," she explained. Her eyes were gleaming.
    I sighed and found it for her. "This is it, Mom," I said. "We need to put some days of no sugar treats under your belt after today."     "Well then," she replied, "I'd better have two scoops instead of one."
    Our Lady of Sugar reasoning.
    When she noticed I wasn't having any she asked why.
    "I'm sorry Mom," I said, "I can't handle sugar before bed. I can't really handle food before bed."
    "You poor girl," she said. "Too bad you took after your father. I'll have yours, then."
    "That's fine with me. Seeing as how I'm not having any. You can have all of mine you want!"
    She gave me That Look. "You're too smart for me, child!"
    Our Daughter of Our Lady of Sugar reasoning.

Lunch
Blood Glucose:
    Not taken
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1548
    BP:  139/69
    Pulse:  63

    It was just a fluke that I happened to remember to take her BP just before her snack lunch. I'm glad I did. Even though she was sitting on the toilet at the time, which is an optimum place for her to be sitting to get a good resting BP, it registered high. She looked like she might be a little water logged, maybe, but not much. The primary aspect, though, is that she had begun a concerned and confused discussion 3 minutes prior to me taking her pressure about "Dad", if he was dead and how he died. I assumed she meant her dad, so I began that tale. By the time I finished her face was all screwed up. Nope, "I know how my Dad died, I mean your Dad."
    This is one of the very, very few times she's forgotten that he is dead. Once I explained, in detail, the circumstances of his death, including how he managed, over decades to work himself up to his particular death, she was satisfied.
    I decided, though, to go ahead and give her a "third" lisinopril (once she has dinner it will be her third of the day), considering the height of both her systolic and diastolic and that she might be agitated about deaths all day today. Giving her a lisinopril will give her a physical edge.
    Oh, yeah. She had some of MCS's Bread & Butter pickles and six green, pimiento stuffed olives for lunch. That's all she wanted.

Dinner
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1943
    Reading:  77
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1941
    BP:  165/81
    Pulse:  65
  Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1948
    BP:  127/76
    Pulse:  60

    Yes, I did a double take, too, on that first blood pressure. This time there didn't seem to be any excuse. She wasn't honed in on a television show, neither of us was watching television or a dvd. She'd been reading her new tabloids but quietly. We weren't having a heated discussion of any kind. I immediately assumed, oh shit, her BP's going up on it's own; way up! It occurred to me that I should probably give her 5 mg lisinopril at dinner, thus boosting her to four 2.5 mg today. I was so surprised that I didn't even think about the possibility that she hadn't relaxed her arm.
    Luckily, I hate to overmedicate her even a little, so I decided to continue with dinner preparations for a few minutes and take it again, making sure that her arm was relaxed, which is an iffy proposition, since as soon as I mention it and test her arm, she tenses up. But, we went through the drill anyway. I figured, at least I'd get an idea if the rise was legit or a blip. As you can see, it was a blip. In 7 minutes her systolic dropped almost 40 points, even though she was a little miffed at my "relax" routine. Her diastolic dropped 5. Although high for her, she was definitely back in a range where a fourth lisinopril for the day wasn't necessary.
    For dinner we had half Cobb salads and grilled garlic cheese bread. Mmmmm.
    Glory be, I got her out today. She went to the grocery with me. Not only did she accompany me without protest, she looked forward to it all day and took a shortened nap because she was anticipating the trip. She may have arisen early because of it. I'll report on how she did, movement-wise, over at =>Moving =>Mom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home