Mom's Daily Tests & Meds: 2004 - 2006

Daily postings of Mom's in-home tests, administered medications, food eaten and the relationship among the three and her life.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Today's Stats:

Breakfast
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1057
    Reading:  120
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1109
    BP:  133/68
    Pulse:  58

    Looks like today is a good day to institute three 2.5 mg lisinopril a day. I'm going to wait to see if the "third" pill would be best placed at lunch or dinner. Aside from Mom being bathed and eating breakfast before noon, today, everything is normal.

Lunch
Blood Glucose:
    Not taken
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1608
    BP:  111/60
    Pulse:  65

    Now, there's a BP I like to see! Thus, I'll be waiting until just before bed to administer her third 2.5 mg lisinopril. Lunch was, again, lunch-lite: I'm reorganizing the banana eating to after dinner or later in the evening, since I think it will be easier for her body to work off the fructose over night; assuming, of course, that she wants a banana. She did, today, for lunch, but easily took my suggested substitution of 8 oz lemon non-fat artificially sweetened yoghurt with her usual 11.5 oz V-8 juice.

Dinner
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1926
    Reading:  81
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1925
    BP:  132/64
    Pulse:  58

    Now, there's a pre-dinner Blood Glucose reading I like to see! I'm surprised at her BP but this is a good argument for administering her third lisinopril just before bed. Considering how prodigiously she sleeps, especially at night, this timing is probably best.
    Although I had planned Cobb salad for dinner, Mom decided she wanted pizza. As it happens, we had plenty of pizza frozen from a few nights previous. It took almost an hour to heat it from frozen to eatable, mainly because I didn't want to burn it and had it heating at 250° for the first half hour, at which point I bumped it up to 300°.
    I should mention that we had an active evening prior to dinner, which may have helped reduce her blood glucose: Although I couldn't get her interested in looking for cookie cutters pre-nap, she awoke from her nap with cookie cutters on her mind. I did some calling around and discovered that the kitchen store at the mall had an entire rack full of cookie cutters of all kinds. Mom was an enthusiastic participant. She even lingered over the Christmas section at one of the department stores we had to traverse in order to take the short cut to the kitchen store. She's a sucker for kitchen stores, as well, and was on her feet most of the time except for about 15 minutes toward to end of our deliberated selection of cookie cutters. When we got to the car I asked her about her back and knee. Neither was giving her any trouble. Excellent! We're in another honeymoon period! I'm jazzed.
    I should also mention that I will probably not bother to take her BP before I give her the bedtime lisinopril, as it clearly irritates my mother to have her BP taken often and I'm sure that the third dose of 2.5 mg is not going to throw her into a blood pressure crash overnight.
    As well, I'm prepared for the possibility that on some days I may be administering four 2.5 mg lisinopril doses, just depending on how her BP readings look. I'm hoping, though, that as her body registers the elevated dosage, more than three will not be necessary very often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home