Mom's Daily Tests & Meds: 2004 - 2006

Daily postings of Mom's in-home tests, administered medications, food eaten and the relationship among the three and her life.

Monday, December 05, 2005

Today's Stats:

Breakfast
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1153
    Reading:  77
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1252
    BP:  113/66
    Pulse:  51

    The 59 minutes between her blood glucose and her blood pressure reading wasn't because I forgot about her blood pressure. I awoke her at 1130. It was a hard wake-up. She resisted. It took me almost a half hour to coax her hand over the edge of the bed for a blood sugar reading. Then, the door bell rang. It was my Fed Ex delivery lady. Knowing that Mom was still prone, I decided to take the opportunity to chat with her about her parents, for whom she and her husband take care and who live with her. We talked until 1230.
    Mom confirmed that she'd snoozed a little but when I reentered her room she was sitting on the edge of her bed, ready to commence bathing. I was a bit behind. It took yet another half hour to get to the place where I could take her blood pressure.
    Normal breakfast. No extra medications ovbiously.

Non-stat Lunch
    Lunch took place at about 1700. She said she was hungry for only something sweet. We have nothing sweet in the house, at the moment, except artificially sweetened candy. I decided, without thinking back, what the hell. It won't hurt her. I completely forgot what usually happens when she eats this candy and why she rarely gets it. I gave her four mini York Peppermint Patties and four mini Hershey's chocolate bars with almonds. She downed them within 15 minutes and said she was satisfied.
    Little did I know...

BM Dinner
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  2038
    Reading:  124
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  2034
    BP:  132/64
    Pulse:  59

    I was a little surprised at both her blood sugar and her blood pressure. Hmmm...I thought. I guess she did it again; raised her blood sugar on diabetic candy. I wasn't sure what to think about her blood sugar.
    I did not, though, augment her meds. For dinner we'd already discussed at breakfast that we'd enjoyed the salad last night so much and it had been so long since we'd had dinner salads that that's what we wanted again tonight...this time with some left over ham I put out to thaw. It was as delicious as last night. The ham and the dressing, which, tonight, was home made Ranch dressing, were the only changes from last night.
    Then, it happened; something that hasn't happened for, oh, god, I don't know, over a year, I think, if not longer. At 2145 she headed into the bathroom for a Bowel Movement, and what a movement it was. Pure, true diarrhea. I know the cause; the artificially sweetened candy. The reason she hasn't had any for so long is because it usually has this effect on her. I just didn't think of it tonight. It cleaned her out, starting from before she managed to reach the toilet: Volume? Amazing; Consistency? Thick liquid; Ease of Elimination? Like a rocket; Clean-up? Sufffice it to say I worked on Mom for a good 20 minutes then worked on the bathroom for another half hour.
    She didn't cramp, didn't feel sick. She feels great, now. No fluid retention anyplace. I think, as well, all the fiber she's had over the last several days helped, then the candy did it's trick.
    Well, I don't have to worry about her being cleaned out for awhile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home