Mom's Daily Tests & Meds: 2004 - 2006

Daily postings of Mom's in-home tests, administered medications, food eaten and the relationship among the three and her life.

Friday, November 25, 2005

Today's Stats:

Breakfast
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1029
    Reading:  130
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1029
    BP:  120/64
    Pulse:  63

    Hmmm...well, the BG "glitch" is back. She slept exactly 12 hours last night, from 2200 - 1000 (she was already up and in the bathroom when I returned from turning the rental car in at 1015). It hasn't seemed as though her diet has changed any, although we have had fast food in the last few weeks more frequently than usual; at least three times in two weeks that I can remember.
    Something we haven't been having much of lately is Cobb salads. Maybe we'll reinstitute frequent Cobb Salads in the evening, for awhile, and see if that has any effect on her morning blood sugar. One thing that has changed lately about her diet is the timing, because of her sleep habits: Lunch has been very light, not infrequently non-existent, so I've tried to make up the difference at dinner, not so much in amount but by allowing richer foods more often. This could be the problem. Maybe, is we can, we need to more on lunch and less on dinner. It may take a few days to get her into this habit. Cutting back on her sleep would help, too, I'm sure, but I can't swear that I'll be able to accomplish this. Keep your fingers crossed. Could be the landmark theory in operation, too.
    Since we're out of bacon, breakfast meat was, again, kielbasa with her egg. A friend of mine up here to whom I gave a loaf of date nut breakfast bread a while back, not realizing that we'd be out of town for Thanksgiving, left a load of her Crystalized Ginger Bread Loaf on our doorstep sometime yesterday. When we noticed it after disembarking from our trip yesterday, Mom put in a bid for a slice of it for our breakfast bread, which we did this morning. It was pretty sweet, although the addition of chopped crystalized ginger in a ginger flavored quick bread was remarkable. My guess is that Mom's blood sugar will probably be whistling a very loud happy tune tonight.
    Still out of garlic. Also, I realized well after she finished her OJ that I'd inadvertently backtracked to two teaspoons of Benefiber instead of one tablespoon.
    As she would say, "I'm sure [she'll] recover."

Non-stat Everything Else
    I forgot to take her stats for dinner, but dinner was a light, modified affair.
    I decided to do the "hearty lunch/light dinner" idea today: For lunch she had a ham sandwich on sourdough bread with a light spread of mayonnaise, a medium spread of mustard and a slice of yellow sharp cheddar; fresh cut vegetables including brocolli, cauliflower, slices of green, yellow and red pepper, baby carrots, radishes and spring onions, sprinkled with a Greek/Italian herb dressing. This occurred at around 1600.
    Around 1930 she was watching a Christmas movie on TV, I can't remember which one, but one of the family scenes involved people drinking hot chocolate. "Hot chocolate," she said, "that sounds good! How about Hot Chocolate for dinner?"
    "Do you want anything else?"
    "No, that was a big lunch we had."
    So, I made her a 12 oz cup of instant Chocolate Caramel hot chocolate mixed with some of her decaf instant coffee. She nursed it throughout the evening, asking that I "reheat" it (which usually involved mixing in a few more coffee crystals, three different times. Throughout the evening until she went to bed at 2330 I continued to ask her if she wanted anything else to eat. She was satisfied with the increasingly diluted, continually reheated hot chocolate.
    Before she went to bed I noticed that she was retaining enough fluid to be noticeable in both her feet and her torso. I decided to give her 20 mg furosemide to pull it off. It's not that I've been over-hydrating her. I've been very careful about "not too little, not too much." I think her body may be readjusting to lesser movement and hasn't kicked into hibernation mode yet.
    At her request (which means she was experiencing a fair amount of pain and stiffness...she almost never asks for pain medication) I gave her a 200 mg ibuprofen pill before she retired, too.
    Otherwise, she looked good, felt good, was well animated and registered in at about an hour under her usual 14 hours(often +) of sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home