Mom's Daily Tests & Meds: 2004 - 2006

Daily postings of Mom's in-home tests, administered medications, food eaten and the relationship among the three and her life.

Monday, November 28, 2005

Today's Stats:

BM Breakfast
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1123
    Reading:  116
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1147
    BP:  140/66
    Pulse:  55

    There we go, that's where I like to see her blood glucose in the morning, or a bit lower. Good. We'll see how it reads over the next few days.
    I want to note that she awoke of her own accord at about 1115. Surprised me because she hadn't quite gotten in her normal 12 hours night-sleep.
    Breakfast was normal.
    I was a little surprised at her high systolic, since the furosemide obviously continued working last night. Her bedding and her body were soaked. Since I was positive the spike wasn't irritation from me getting her up or rounding her into movement before she wanted to move, I took her BP twice with a couple of minutes between readings while she relaxed in the very warm bathroom on the toilet. The two readings were within two points of each other. The above reading is the lower of the two. I decided to give her an extra 5 mg lisinopril with breakfast.
    Her nose and eyes were running a lot this morning. No fever, though. She complained of feeling as though she had a cold and spent a lot of time trying to clear her throat. Could be she's got one coming on, although she might also still be reacting the the furosemide and the low that swept through here yesterday.
    She's in napping as I write. It's been a long nap today. She went in, by surprise, at about 1400. I'm going to awaken her at 1700, just because she needs some fluids. I'm going to try to keep her up for awhile tonight.
    Her Bowel Movement occurred at 1330: Fair volume; excellent consistency; very easy elimination; easy clean-up.

Lunch
    As it turned out, Mom had a long nap, today: two and a half hours. I let her sleep. Aside from having her lisinopril dosage doubled this morning (I usually wait until evening to up it, if necessary, because the added medicine makes her drowsy), her body is definitely fighting off a mild cold...nothing to worry about; just a runny nose and runny eyes and a dragged out feeling. She laid down at 1430. I finally awoke her at 1700.
    Thus, I served her a hearty lunch: Starting with a base of Marie Callender's Chicken Pot Pie soup, I added chicken (quite a bit) and lots of chopped green onions, celery, carrots and green peppers, then spiced it with a teaspoon each of Maharajah curry powder and Hot curry powder. While she napped I did some shopping for extra baking ingredients and finally found Robertson's Scotch and Thick Cut Marmalades at a store here. I wanted Mom to try them to see what she thought about using them in baking so I toasted a piece of home made 100% whole wheat bread, slathered it with real butter (I had some out and soft from baking) and spread each piece with one of the marmalades. She likes the Thick Cut better than the Scotch but considers them both superior.
    She was, by the way, feeling much better, although low energy, all evening.

Dinner
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  2010
    Reading:  144
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  2008
    BP:  122/55
    Pulse:  61

    Supper was late and light tonight because of our luscious lunch. I expected her blood glucose to be higher than usual at supper. I also expected it to be lower than the marmalade she had at lunch would normally boost it because curry powder seems to lower her blood sugar. I was right on both counts. Good reading, everything considered.
    Her blood pressure was back down, too. There was minor irritation during the reading, as she settled herself in front of a Christmas movie, The Christmas Box, that she wanted to see and me taking her blood pressure was a bother so I couldn't get her to completely relax her arm and she snipped at me while I took it. I was good...I didn't snip back.
    At about 2015 I served her a 3.5 oz bag of microwave popcorn with extra butter (she "blessed" me for this) and 11.5 oz V-8 juice.
    Because the furosemide was continuing to pull fluid off her, when she was up I plied her with tea and coffee all day and evening. When she retired (2315; light out at 2340 after four episodes of M*A*S*H) she was nicely hydrated but not overly so. No swelling anywhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home