Mom's Daily Tests & Meds: 2004 - 2006

Daily postings of Mom's in-home tests, administered medications, food eaten and the relationship among the three and her life.

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Today's Stats:

Breakfast
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1147
    Reading:  124
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1156
    BP:  176/80
    Pulse:  64
  Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1206
    BP:  162/75
    Pulse:  55

    I think it's obvious why I took her BP twice this morning. Wow! I also noticed that her right foot was a little pudgy, she flushed very little last night although she did leak through and her belly was mildly bloated. I'm wondering if this is just a blip or if we're getting to the place where I need to keep an eye on her sodium. She had a very high sodium dinner last night.
    This morning she did get extra medication: I gave her an extra 5 mg lisinopril and 20 mg furosemide.
    Although she awoke on her own a little less than 12 hours after her light went out last night.
    She was phasing when she awoke, as well, which could mean anything...maybe a mini-stroke, although no other symptoms were evident; maybe just a hard sleeping night, who knows? Her phasing took the form of asking me, when I entered her room, if "[MPS] went with me." I'd just returned from a multi-visit supply run to four different stores. She was convinced that MPS was visiting. As her "morning" continued she continued to drag. The extra lisinopril didn't help. She's already down for a nap.
    Just before she settled herself under the covers she asked me how long I went to school in Mechanicsville.
    "I didn't go to school in Mechanicsville, Mom. I've never been to Iowa. I wasn't even a gleam in your eye when you were there."
    She looked confused but recovered quickly. "Really! Well, I'll have to take you there next week."
    I guess we're in Iowa today. "Okay. I'd like to see the area where you grew up in high school."
    "Don't forget college. I'll bet you'd like to see the school, again."
    "I didn't go to college there, either, Mom. How could I have? I've never been to Iowa."
    "Poor girl," she joked, "You just weren't raised right."
    I laughed. "Well, I guess you'd know, since you raised me."
    She looked confused.
    "I'm one of your four daughter's Mom."
    Her face went through one of those quick changes that indicates she's trying to get her mental footing but not sure where the ground is, since she thought she was on solid ground. In a moment she turned coy. "Oh," she mugged, "that's who you are! I must make a note of that!"
    I smiled and curtsied. I didn't bother checking to see if she remembered which daughter I am. I'm The One Who's Always Here. That's all she needs to remember.
    She'll probably sleep for awhile since it's going to be a reorienting sleep, both mentally and physically.

Non-stat Lunch
    Mom didn't sleep as long as I expected. She was up before 1700. She wasn't hungry. I counted off the hours since she had breakfast and decided, that's fine, I'll hydrate her and we'll have dinner later. She was feeling good and had begun to shed water prodigiously, though. I'm anxious to see what her BP is like before dinner.

Dinner
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1927
    Reading:  69
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1721
    BP:  148/60
    Pulse:  59
  Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1726
    BP:  147/70
    Pulse:  62

    Oops on the BG. I let it get a little low; not too low but it was headed there. I've got to remember that when she refuses lunch. Once again you'll notice I took two BP readings. I thought it would be lower by now but these readings reminded me that she awoke late and moved slow this morning, so she didn't get her pills until about 1230.
    I've begun the lower sodium regime. We always eat really well when I do this, and, anyway, lately, because I've been so busy, I've been relying on quick fixes for dinner that are usually high in sodium. Tonight I grilled salmon filets with herb (no salt) butter, some fresh, some dried, smothered, after grilling with fresh lemon juice. For our vegetable I nuked fresh peas with Bermuda onion (not sauteed) and some commercial bacon bits that came with brocolli slaw and seasoned with my Greek/Italian blend dressing. We won't be using the bacon bits again. They had were defatted and low sodium had had no flavor. We may as well have not had them.
    I was going to do some baking tonight but decided to hold off until tomorrow. I didn't want to tempt her with anything that might interfere with flushing.
    As far as hydration is concerned, I'm keeping liquids in front of her, which she tends to automatically sip, but I'm not applying water torture, yet. The furosemide, while it's working, is working slowly.
    No extra medication at dinner. I'll just let the furosemide do it's thing and we'll see how she is in the morning.
    She insisted on going to bed early tonight. She was in bed reading by 2145; her light just went off as I'm finishing and timing this post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home