Mom's Daily Tests & Meds: 2004 - 2006

Daily postings of Mom's in-home tests, administered medications, food eaten and the relationship among the three and her life.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Today's Stats:

Breakfast
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1057
    Reading:  103
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1114
    BP:  133/65
    Pulse:  58

    Her systolic is a little high but I was still cruisin' to bruise this morning. I tried to cover it by simply keeping quiet but, of course, being quiet is not my nature. I'm sure my mother took note and reacted by feeling a bit stressed. She didn't seem to be retaining fluids or anything and her diastolic is picture perfect, so I'm sure she's not having a CHF episode. I'll keep an eye on it, though. The humidity's up today: I can feel it and the loaf of bread I baked today testifies to it.

BM Lunch
Blood Glucose:
    Not taken
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1640
    BP:  111/52
    Pulse:  64

    Needless to say, I was beginning to recover my normal unstressed self by the time she awoke from her nap. When I took her blood pressure it was fine, so I must have appeared to be okay to her, too. I've still got a few wrinkles to iron out but they're not as treacherous as those I've had to work on over the last 36 hours.
    Her lunch was exactly the same today as yesterday.
    Her Bowel Movement occurred at 1630: Good volume; excellent consistency; very easy elimination; very easy clean-up.
    Yes, I'll be taking stats tonight at dinner. I'll be curious to see how she's doing, actually.

Dinner
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  2019
    Reading:  91
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  2018
    BP:  125/68
    Pulse:  66

    Although her systolic is higher than her normal range, it's not that much higher. She's been drinking a lot of fluids today by choice, heading into the kitchen for a glass of water here and there, which she almost never does. I've been drinking more than usual, too. I think it's this sudden and surprising hot spell combined with the humidity, which causes both of us to sweat more than we've been sweating in awhile. I finally attempted some fairly unsuccessful rationing this evening on her.
    I noticed, too, when I rubbed her legs and feet down before she retired, that her feet were more swollen than usual. Yes, I've begun this again. After spending almost a year considering medical advice not to do this and discussing it with my mother, we both decided, ahhh, what the hell. There's no evidence that her mini-stroke was caused by a clot, she has had none since and she's taking plenty of anti-coagulants, anyway, in supplement form, besides her 81 mg aspirin a day. When I was rubbing her legs up tonight in order to encourage her body to pull up the fluid build up and eliminate it, she joked, "That's right, get those clots circulating...mmmm, that feels good." If we are taking a clot moving risk with her, which I doubt, it's worth it, I think, considering that the same procedure seems to keep her blood pressure lower without additional medication, acts as anti-atrophy therapy for her legs and relaxes her as it pleasures her.
    For dinner I was going to make potato soup with additional chopped vegetables and crumbled, fried, defatted sausage but she asked for mac & cheese. Besides all the usual stuff I put in I added lots of minced, sauteed garlic, tonight, and chopped sun dried tomatoes. When we were kids, before we took over the cooking, I have memories of her making mac & cheese with hamburger and ketchup. Wasn't my favorite dish, I've never cared for ketchup, but I thought, because of her preference, she might like the addition of the sun dried tomatoes. She did, even as she joked about them being raw meat courtesy of my fingers, and ate a hearty helping.
    I decided, after checking with her tonight, to start adding bananas to her diet again. For a long time we avoided them because of their affect on her blood glucose. Since her PCP wants to raise her A1c, though, and her body continues to do a good job of regulating potassium, it occurred to me that it's time to reinstate bananas. She loves them, too, and, maybe with an added banana a day I can cut back even further with the Benefiber®. That would be nice.
    Although the time stamp is corrected on this to coincide with the date of her stats, it's actually 0036 as I finish this. A few minutes ago Mom woke up and headed into the bathroom. Her doubled paper underwear was already soaked and she was peeing. Her feet looked good. I swear, rubbing her legs and feet has so many benefits, not the least of which is that I don't have to depend on occasional furosemide to pull excess water off her when I rub her legs and feet regularly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home