Mom's Daily Tests & Meds: 2004 - 2006

Daily postings of Mom's in-home tests, administered medications, food eaten and the relationship among the three and her life.

Monday, December 19, 2005

Today's Stats:

Breakfast
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1211
    Reading:  138
Blood Pressure:
    Not taken

    Her blood glucose is no surprise, considering that she had apple pie last night for "dinner" and considering when she had it, sometime between 2200 & 2300. Today, since I baked another slightly different apple pie, this one with chopped Turkish apricots and walnuts, instead of waiting until late in the evening, I'll give her a slice for "lunch", which I'm sure will occur soon after she awakens from her nap, probably around 1800, just as the pie reaches peak eating temperature. This means that her "dinner" blood glucose will probably be quite high, maybe even in the 200s. What the hell; and what's the point of baking an apple pie if you can't enjoy it!?!
    It looks as though she's establishing a midnight to noon pattern for sleeping, doesn't it. That will probably change tomorrow when I awaken her for her blood draw, probably around 1000.
    Normal breakfast. No additional meds.
    Her Bowel Movement occurred at 1555, just before she laid down for her nap: Good volume; good consistency, a little rocky; very easy elimination; very easy clean-up.

Non-stat Lunch
    Mom was so excited about the apple pie that she awoke "early", as she said, at 1720, ready for pie. The pie wasn't cool enough to eat, though, so I took advantage of the opportunity to make sure she got some unsweetened nutrition before pie. We talked about it. I told her that, considering how early she was up, maybe it would be best if she had a reliable lunch and we put off pie until about 1900, when I could safely administer her medication. She was amenable.
    For lunch she had about 2.5 oz yellow sharp cheddar (she's been into cheese, lately, I guess you've noticed), 11.5 oz V-8 juice and 6 green pimiento stuffed olives.

Dinner
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1906
    Reading:  85
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1900
    BP:  113/58
    Pulse:  67

    Nice stats. Good BG if one is going to have a piece of apple-apricot-walnut pie. No additional meds. 1/6 of a pie for Mom. She raved through the entire piece. Made me feel really good.
    The only down side is that she was ready for bed at 2130. Her light just went out at 2145. I think the early bedtime is because of the sugar. I'm hoping, though, that giving her the pie earlier in the evening than last night might give her body a little longer to work it off.
    Want to mention, also, today she was doing a fair amount of mouth breathing so I put her on pulse regulated oxygen for most of her day, 3/lpm to make sure she got at least 2/lpm. Strange experience for me. This is the first day in a long time that she's been on oxygen most of the day. Yes, I had to remind her to breathe through her nose, not her mouth ad infinitum. Yes, it brought back memories, bad memories. Yes, I felt like a shit, both because I had to remind her how to breathe all day long and because I had trouble separating today from Thanksgiving Day.
    Live and learn. Sometimes the learning is harder than the living. Living is often automatic. Learning often isn't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home