Mom's Daily Tests & Meds: 2004 - 2006

Daily postings of Mom's in-home tests, administered medications, food eaten and the relationship among the three and her life.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Today's Stats:

BM Breakfast
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1113
    Reading:  113
Blood Pressure:
    Not taken

    It appears that a few hours earlier than 2200 is a good time to serve pie if I want to make sure my mother doesn't wake up with it still swimming in her blood stream. 'By accident' another pie experiment is now taking place. Without thinking I left the pie on the counter last night, covered with plastic wrap. Because I tend to ignore everything in the kitchen except what I'm dealing with at any particular time, I didn't even notice it as I shuttled back and forth between bedroom, kitchen and bathroom attending to my mother's arising, bathing, dressing and the preparation of her breakfast. Thus, when my mother enterd the kitchen on her way to the dinette after bathing there was the pie, preening on the counter for my mother's sugar-favoring eyes to see. "How about pie, this morning, instead of toast," she said. It was not a question.
    I considered this for a moment and decided, ah, what the hell, why not? "Okay, but not a dinner sized piece like last night."
    She made a "killjoy" face back at me but accepted this. It was a "mighty slim" piece, she acknowledged when I set her breakfast plate in front of her but she was happy. Needless to say, I immediately divided the rest of the pie and stowed it in the freezer for future sugar fits.
    Her Bowel Movement was a surprise, considering the very good quality of yesterdays but I think it was a follow-up. It occurred at 1255: Fair volume; appeared to be of excellent consistency but turned out to be a bit smeary; very easy elimination; slightly messy clean-up.
    I think I've discovered the cause of the temporary back aches my mother's been experiencing for the last few days; it's dual, I believe: First, they've been occurring immediately after her bowel movements; second, during her first stint in the bathroom after breakfast I always insist she brush her teeth. One of these activities alone doesn't seem to bother her back. Both, though, as I discovered today, put some strain on it. When I clean her she is always standing up, ass toward me. At the point where I go after any shit that's been squeezed up her lips toward her urinary apparatus I always have her "lean forward and relax". Then, of course, when she brushes her teeth she hunches over the sink when she rinses her mouth and the brush. Then, when she emerges, she walks in such a way that I ask her if her back is bothering me and she usually confirms that it is. Part of this ritual, I think, I can dispense with: The "leaning over" when I go for misappropriated shit. The part involving brushing her teeth, though, well, I've actually cautioned her about this before but it's done no good. However, if I dispense with the "lean forward" part, even if it's followed by brushing her teeth I think she'll be okay. I also decided today to wait for about 15 minutes after these two exercises before giving her ibuprofen to see if her back relaxes out of it's ache once she's seated in her rocker. It did, so now I know this is a very temporary condition that doesn't need medication.

Non-stat Lunch
    Earlier rising equals earlier lunch. She awoke from an earlier nap at 1615. For lunch she had about a cup of 4% milk fat, small curd cottage cheese covered with pepper, about 1/2 cup of MCS's bread and butter pickles and 11.5 oz V-8 juice.
    The interesting thing is that when she awoke she "remembered" that it was yesterday and that I had a pie cooling to eat for dinner. I corrected her, since the pie, of which she had a thin slice for breakfast instead of her usual toast, was sliced and stuffed in our freezer after breakfast this morning. It was an endearing episode, though. When she shuffled into the living room after her nap her eyes were bright with anticipation and her first words were: "Do I smell pie?"
    Although I had to tell her "No, you don't smell pie today, Mom," I decided on the spot to make one more apple pie, this time with dried cherries and toasted sliced almonds. We'll probably break it's crust on Thursday. Then, on Christmas, I'll give her a choice of whichever pie she'd like for dessert (we'll be having Honey Baked Ham for dinner, assuming I can pick one up today) and I'll make sure we have Baskin Robbin's French Vanilla ice cream for a topping.

Dinner
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1941
    Reading:  118
Blood Pressure:
    Not taken

    Well, it looks like another optimum time to feed Mom pie is for breakfast, as long as it's closer to a sliver than a slice.
    For dinner I served home made deviled eggs with minced yellow onion, dill pickle relish and a bit of shredded ham mixed in with the yolks (as well as The Usual Seasonings) and fresh green peas mixed with sauteed Bermuda onion, celery, chopped, defatted, fried bacon and my home made Greek/Italian dressing.
    "Mmmm," she said. "This is one of my favorite meals. We should have it more often." Good idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home