Mom's Daily Tests & Meds: 2004 - 2006

Daily postings of Mom's in-home tests, administered medications, food eaten and the relationship among the three and her life.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Today's Stats:

BM Breakfast
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1229
    Reading:  104
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1308
    BP:  138/64
    Pulse:  54

    Although it never bothers my mother to be allowed more sleep, the late arising was my fault. I was up but I was not feeling good and waited until I thought I could stand having to focus sharply on another person. Around 12:15 I shrugged my shoulders and decided, "Now or never."
    Breakfast was what has become normal since I brought a Honey Baked Ham into our house: Ham and egg, toast with real unsalted, sweet cream butter (which I've been using for baking and which my mother loves), cinnamon on toast, O.J. with Benefiber®.
    I was moving v-e-r-y s-l-o-w, which my mother always appreciates. Generally I manage to get her up on her feet within about 20 minutes after awakening her, sometimes earlier, and a full bath takes us just under half an hour, now; less if I'm really moving. Today, though, since I was feeling drained, I let her loll in her bedroom as long as she wanted while I played what I call "Carpet" with our cat and Mom and I chatted. I think it was about 1300 when we made it into the bathroom, which is why her blood pressure reading took place about a half hour after her blood glucose reading. Thus, she had finished dressing but hadn't yet emerged from the bathroom when her Bowel Movement occurred, at 1330: Very good volume; good consistency, a little soft, though; easy elimination; somewhat challenging clean-up.

Non-stat Lunch
    I couldn't stand it. I felt so bad that when my mother went down for a nap at 1630, so did I. I slept for three hours, so hard that she awoke at 1900 and, considering that, on the rare occasions that I attempt to take a nap, I usually awaken when she does because I hear her get up and, often, I'm not sleeping deeply, I'm just dozing. Today, though, I slept like the dead. I awoke to my mother standing in my bedroom door directly over my head saying, softly, "Gail, Gail, are you all right?"
    Thus, lunch took place at about 1945. It was a normal lunch: Cottage cheese; MCS's bread & butter pickles; 11.5 oz V-8 juice. Immediately after her lunch my mother asked, "What are you planning for supper?"
    I was surprised. "Why? Are you still hungry? I can't give you your medication until between 2100 and 2130, considering how late you ate breakfast today. If you're still hungry, though, you can certainly have something else to eat, now. If necessary, I can just give you toast with your pills for dinner."
    "Well, no, I was thinking of something else for dinner." She had that sugar-sparkle gleam in her eye.
    "Uh oh," I said, grinning. "If you want something sweet, dinner is a better time."
    "That's what I was thinking."
    "What's on your stomach's mind?" I asked.
    "Forget whatever you were planning for dinner and let's have some of that wonderful pie you baked with ice cream."
    I laughed. "Remember, I told you when I started baking, this year, I knew I was going to regret it?"
    "And, if I was on my toes I probably told you not to bother."
    "My memory doesn't serve me well but I'll take your word for it. That sounds like a made-to-order-Mom response!"
    "How about it? I feel great. I'm sure my blood sugar is fine."
    If her blood sugar was running in the 500's and she was dragging through the day she'd say this, if sugar was on her mind. "The only problem..."
    ...she looked as though she was gathering herself to argue...
    "...is that we don't have any ice cream. I'll need to go out and get some."
    Normally, being the easy going woman that she is, she would have said something along the lines of, "Oh, no, don't bother. Just pie will be fine." Tonight she responded, "What flavor are you planning to get?"
    "Well, since I'm not really in the mood for pie or ice cream, I'll let you choose."
    She took a few seconds to think. "I can't make up my mind," she said.
    "What if I go to Baskin Robbins, get a quart of French Vanilla and a quart of some sort of chocolate..."
    "Don't get that dark chocolate, I don't like that."
    "...okay, a quart of some mild chocolate..."
    "...maybe something with nuts..."
    "...a mild chocolate with nuts, any other requests?"
    She grinned. "Not at the moment. When will you be leaving?"
    "Immediately. I don't think they stay open very late in the winter."
    "Okay. That's fine. Some kind of vanilla and some kind of chocolate. Hurry. You don't want to get there after it closes."
    "Oh. Excuse me. Do you feel a hypoglycemic fit coming on?"
    "You never know..."
    With that her plans for dinner were completed.

Dinner
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  2124
    Reading:  137
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  2122
    BP:  133/62
    Pulse:  66

    Considering that I measured her blood glucose about an hour and a half after she finished her lunch, which included bread & butter pickles, which are made with sugar, her reading isn't bad, and, anyway, she would be getting her medication with the pie.
    Since having taken a real nap today, although still feeling like I'm running on empty, my mind was in better shape. I decided to go ahead and leave her normal lisinopril dosage in the mix of her dinner pills and give her an extra 5 mg just before she retired, which happened at 2333; light went out at 2347.
    Yes, she enjoyed the pie, a wedge measuring an eighth of a 9.5 inch deep dish pie, with German Chocolate Cake Ice Cream. I selected this as the "chocolate" kind, as it was a hearty but not too hearty chocolate with pecans and a caramel ribbon in it, plus bits of milk chocolate brownie and coconut, which she hates, but I tasted it before purchase and I didn't think her sense of taste would detect the coconut. I was right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home