Mom's Daily Tests & Meds: 2004 - 2006

Daily postings of Mom's in-home tests, administered medications, food eaten and the relationship among the three and her life.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Today's Stats:

Breakfast
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1134
    Reading:  113
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1204
    BP:  156/69
    Pulse:  53

    Mom's breakfast still involves Honey Baked ham and probably will until I decide, deep in ham overload, to freeze the rest.
    So, here's what I'm thinking about her blood pressure. I'll take it tonight just prior to dinner. If it is in an okay range, I'll wait until she retires to administer what is normally her dinner dose of lisinopril. If it's out of range I'll administer the normal dose, then give her 5 mg more just before she retires.
    It also occurred to me today that perhaps her body isn't handling fluid that well anymore. Every time I look at her, now, I'm scanning for signs of fluid retention and scaring myself. When she was sitting on the toilet I thought, "Aha, her belly looks a little full." Then, when she arose for torso bathing I realized that the pouch I took as fluid retention was due to the way she chose to sit on the toilet. Later today she complained of a back ache, for which I gave her 200 mg so ibuprofen about an hour before she napped, so chances are good that she was sitting strangely on the toilet in order to accommodate an iffy back.
    I've promised her Cobb Salad with ham, of course, and baked apples later in the evening. I also promised her that I'd let her nap, in order to work out her aching back, as long as she wants until 1800 approaches, so we'll probably be eating dinner rather late and she may forego much of a lunch. That's okay. It's one of those days.

Non-stat Lunch
    At first, upon awakening, Mom said she didn't want any lunch, she wanted to wait until dinner to eat. Then she complained about her back, again. I suggested she might want another 200 mg ibuprofen tablet, to which she assented. That's how I know something is really bothering her, when she assents to pain medication. I insisted that she needed something to eat with it. She turned down my offers of cottage cheese, MCS's bread & butter pickles and even a slice of pumpkin/apple/walnut bread.
    "How about a slice of plain bread and butter?"
    "That sounds best," she agreed.
    Her nap lasted for awhile, although I didn't have to force awaken her at 1800, as she was up on her own at a little after 1730.

Dinner
Blood Glucose:
    Time:  1957
    Reading:  194
Blood Pressure:
    Time:  1955
    BP:  120/55
    Pulse:  59

    Her blood glucose is showing the bread she had exactly two hours prior to me taking her blood sugar. Her BP looks good. Unfortunately, I was dragging from my cold and completely forgot to cull out her 5 mg lisinopril before she downed it. So, I vowed to give her an extra 5 mg at bedtime and forgot that, too. Oh well. I don't think one more morning of high blood pressure will hurt her.
    For dinner, as scheduled, she had Cobb Salad with home made Ranch dressing. I didn't get around to making the baked apples, though. I thought I might be able to get by without mentioning them, but Mom remembered. I offered her a slice of home made apple/raspberry/toasted almond pie instead, which she accepted with pleasure.
    No more ibuprofen was necessary this evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home